Monday, August 30, 2010

We Have Arrived!

Well, this is it, folks. Sunday marked our arrival in Kampuchea, also known as Cambodia (it's what other SE Asia countries call it). Travel was a breeze. I had one last cup of Vietnamese coffee before we left and it had my legs shaken even an hour after we landed. Man, it's strong. I come from a land of Cuban coffee, but I don't believe it can hold a light to that stuff.

On Sunday afternoon we got to gather together as a team for the first time and have lunch. There was no huge fanfare or big to-do and it was the perfect start to the community life we hope to establish here. PS - the food we had was delicious! My favorite was the cashew chicken with onions, red peppers, and green peppers. It's the most flavorful thing I've had since leaving home. Today we had kaw, a dish of caramelized pork and boiled eggs. So different from anything I've had before, but definitely a dish I want to learn to make.

Things will move fast in the next couple of weeks as we settle into our new apartment, learn how to get around town, and begin language study. Bekah and I stood out on the balcony of our teammates' home this morning to survey the new world we've come in to. This whole thing is way more than the three of us new teachers can handle; it's exactly where the Father wants us to be.

Tourist activity of the day: feeding bananas to Sambo, the elephant, in a park downtown.

The pictures below are just before our final flight with our friends going to Laos and of our arrival in Phnom Penh.






4 comments:

  1. Yay! You made it! How does it feel to be back after 2 1/2 years?
    That elephant reminds me of one of those cute little guys from The Jungle Book :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!!! I'm so happy! Love you Liv!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Love the shirt. / Mom

    ReplyDelete