Saturday, August 7, 2010

Batting .500 Ain't Too Shabby

The moment of truth came today as Jennifer, Bekah, and I ventured off on own our for lunch. We were greeted with, "Hello, ladies and gentleman!" by a Vietnamese patron. Our translation sheet did not match the menu so a waitress suggested something in her best English. It was delicious. Then we followed Jennifer's leading onto public transportation and although we got off a tad bit shy of our hotel, we did make it back without a hitch. Home run!

Later on in the evening we decided to walk to a nearby cafe. We used Google for directions and it wasn't until we returned that we realized the humor in our folly. The walk took, I don't know, 30-45 min. Our city map didn't quite fit what we were seeing in real time. Even so, Bekah navigated us to the right street. And you wouldn't believe it if I told you that they had moved the cafe since the day before! Ok, so not really. Google maps did us dirty. Swing and a miss! We ended up drinking many sugar-filled smoothies and catching a taxi home.

I didn't realize how routine the fruit introductions would be. Here's another one: mangosteen. This fruit has the most flavor yet. It reminds you of a lychee in texture. The advice I was given is to not eat it when it's yellow. Kind of like "never eat yellow snow."

Two things to note in the pictures below: 1) my friend there mastered my Rubixcube in less than 3 min, I think (I've been working on it since the first flight from Denver); 2) there's a lot of map studying going on currently.

The video is of our first "monsoon" :)









3 comments: