Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A Series of Update Blurbs

The loss of quick and easy access to the internet is the reason for the lapse in regular blogging. Since so much time has passed, I'll let some pictures over the last week and a half guide the long overdue update.

Our move-in date was determined by the date we had power hooked up to our brand spanking new building. What you see above is how the powerline is fixed between the pole and our home. I laughed out loud when I saw what was about to happen. Dad, I hope you salute their ingenuity because I thought of you as they were fixing it up. You'd fit right in here. It's a fine job. Fine job.

The celebration of my 28th birthday included pizza, coffee, and the traditional cake and icecream from the team. Turned out to be a very sweet day. Oh, and a killer storm blew in while we were at the mall. It came down in sheets. AND Bekah and I rode our bikes super fast all the way to the mall under a cloudy sky, keeping us from the scorching noonday sun. Yep. It was a very suh-weet day.

Food! And not just any food. Home-cooked food in our home! We're not boasting that it was amazing or anything. Actually, Bekah's words were something like, "I don't want you to think I know what I'm doing here"as I looked over her shoulder to watch her stir the fry. The important thing about this meal is that the ingredients were from the market. Buying vegetables, meat, and especially spices for some reason, was very tiring for us. I'd say it takes 10x the mental energy used in Publix or WinnDixie to pick up food in a market in another country.

Cambodia has beaches and we went! I confess that I did not take full advantage of the beach; I only walked it a couple of times. We traveled out there on a four hour bus ride that put Greyhound to a bit of shame. It was spacious, clean, and they served a snack. The trip was meant for team time as the year kicks off and before our schedules pack out. We got to know each other more, create some memories, and explore the meaning of community. This picture was taken on our last night on the way to dinner. Mindy and Lyle are on the moto behind us. Yea, that guy with the black helmet is Lyle.

3 comments:

  1. hey whats your skype name? pamela never gave it to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lies! I have given it to her 4 times! She is forgetful!

    ReplyDelete