Thursday, September 30, 2010

Rumor Has It They Eat...

...congealed blood in Asia. It's true. During a trip to our favorite market we stopped for lunch. As usual, we let them serve us whatever was communicated when we answered "yes" to their questions. As I looked down into my bowl I noticed some unidentifiable fragments. The exchange went something like, "Bekah, is this blood?" "Yeah." "Does is melt?" That's the new question. I couldn't tell if it was melting blood causing the reddish hue in my soup or some added seasoning. I don't know if I have the courage to find out. I have met my cuisine match.

The weekend was composed of a classical piano concert, learning to cook lok lak and spring rolls, and a birthday bash. All of those events included the company of Cambodian students or recent graduates that were befriended by Mindy in the past year and a half. What an encouragement to see how her relationships have grown to be so full of joy!

My work here has extended to co-managing the English library on campus. Bekah and I have the privilege of heading up renovations, hiring student staff, and planning programs to promote its use. It's a fantastic way to serve the university, which by the way is becoming more familiar to us every day. We've been manning a table to provide info on a new English-based major each afternoon for the last two weeks. Now we're able to smile and greet a few acquaintances as we walk through the halls. Ah, the signs of building community. So nice.

Enjoy the picture of the over-sized preying mantis. Later that day we only saw its legs lying there. Something had some good eatin'.






4 comments:

  1. you didn't tell me Peter Pan stopped in on our balcony for a visit...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to pick up the mantis by its beady eyes and use it as a head-scratcher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can sympathize. It was also my cuisine match, and I don't think I ever worked myself up to it. I was actually faced with a dish called "boxes of blood."

    Looks like you like lok lak a lot, Liv.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fascinating! I have new appreciation for you! 2 things would get me! Humongous Praying mantis and eating BLOOD! ARG! We love you and miss you! Hope your birthday was awesome, like YOU!

    ReplyDelete