Friday, October 15, 2010

Rain Came Down and Flood Came Up

The rain fell over a 24 hour period and some change. Absolutely incredible. We ventured out by tuktuk one evening, deserting my bike at school for the night, to hear a guest speaker at our Fellowship. The tuktuk drivers charged extra for the hazardous conditions. Rightly so. I didn't accept that at first and that wasn't very cool of me. The one that carried us home was forced to take many detours and dropped us a little ways from our house because we didn't want him to try to get through the water. We waded through, I don't know, 6 inches of water in the dark. Not something you Write your mom about. Sorry, Mom ;)

Please PLEASE enjoy the pics and vids below. They do not do justice to the gravity of the situation, but hopefully you'll get a feel for what it was like. Two fun moments came from this rain.

1) As we pedaled through the high waters one evening my flipflop fell off and began drifting away with the current. I had to put my feet down in the water and chase it while still holding onto my bike. Bekah wanted to stop but wasn't in a position to help, so she unwillingly road slowly on.

2) BECAUSE my bike was left at the school, Bekah and I decided to kick it Khmer and ride one bike with two people. Yes, we fell once and she's got a wicker (for you, Bekah) bruise to show for it. We received many a curious glance from our Cambodian passerbyers. I don't know if that's what was meant by be a light on a hilltop for all to see, but we're glad they know we're here.

The library painting is complete! Opening day is Tuesday and we meet with staff on Mon. Again, this is a place I will take a lot of time developing and ministering. Quick story: a student walked in, wanted to help paint, and now we're getting together next week some time.






2 comments:

  1. Tell the car in the last picture to stop peeking around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charley and I LOVED the videos! You are fearless! : ) I will not complain about rain here anymore! : )

    ReplyDelete